Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Slow Cooker Pork and Okra

I know, I already lost you with the title. I was skeptical myself when I put it together, but it actually turned out pretty fabulous.

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs country-style pork ribs
1 jar roasted red pepper with juice
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
1 bag frozen okra
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2t crushed red pepper
1t kosher salt (or 1/2t table salt)
1/4t black pepper

Steps:
1. Add ingredients to slow-cooker in the order they are listed.
2. Cook. I used 4 hours on high. My cooker automatically switches over to warm at the end of the 4 hours.
3. Serve alone or over rice.

My rating: 7/10
Potential rating: 8/10

Notes: The ribs were the highlight of this dish. Fall apart tender and very moist. The smoky flavor of the roasted peppers and tomatoes also really livened things up. I suspect the dish would suffer if it didn't have the smoky flavor, but I also think just the roasted pepper would be sufficient if you used 2 cans of regular tomatoes. There was a lot of grease from the fat on the ribs, so you can get around that by trimming the fat before adding the ribs or just serving with a slotted spoon. Fat does equal flavor, so I recommend just using the slotted spoon. The only thing I didn't like was that the vegetables were completely cooked down so there was no texture in anything but the pork. I think low heat would be best for this dish, so that hopefully there is a little texture.

2 comments: